Choose a thermostat to get the most
out of your home comfort system
Your thermostat is a vital part of your new heating and cooling system. In fact, for optimal performance and superior comfort in your home, your furnace, air conditioner and thermostat need to all work in sync. Whether a smart thermostat, wifi thermostat, programmable thermostat or manual thermostat is what you choose, knowing the advantages of each will help you stay the most comfortable at home. As part of your in-home assessment, Reliance Home Comfort™ Advisors can not only find a heating and cooling system that meets your family’s needs – they’ll help you select a thermostat that works best, too.
The right thermostat is key to controlling your energy usage and keeping your home comfortable. But how do you choose the one that’s right for your family and home? This depends on:
- The type of heating and cooling system you purchase
- How you intend to use the thermostat to control your home comfort equipment
- Which features are important to you and to running your system properly
Ask a Reliance Home Comfort Advisor – they’re experts at finding the right thermostat to meet your home comfort and your heating and cooling equipment needs.
Book online or call us today.
There are four varieties of thermostats. To choose the right one, it’s important to understand which one will help you get the most out of your heating and cooling system.
Communicating Wifi Thermostats
Communicating Wifi Thermostats can be controlled from your smartphone or computer, just like Smart Wifi thermostats. What sets them apart is that they can also communicate, or talk to your furnace and air conditioner. This allows the thermostat to ensure that your system is properly set up, and to receive warnings and error codes from your furnace and air conditioner. They also allow the equipment to operate at its peak efficiency and to modulate its output. Communicating thermostats should always be used on communicating equipment.
- Pros: Energy effiecent, allows your equipment to operate at its peak efficiency. . Remote access to change temperature via your smartphone.
- Cons: More expensive than traditional thermostats. Can only communicate with equipment made by the same manufacturer.
Smart WiFi thermostats
The latest trend in smart home technology, you can control smart thermostats from your computer or smartphone. What makes them so smart? They learn, remember and adjust to how, when and where you use your system – often through sensors that monitor whether you are away – to help you save energy.
- Pros: Energy-efficient and convenient. Remote access to change temperature via your smartphone. Greater control of your heating and cooling mean lower energy usage and money saved.
- Cons: More expensive than traditional thermostats. Not every smart WiFi thermostat works with every heating and cooling system. Will cause communicating equipment to lose their communicating benefits.
Programmable thermostats can save on heating and cooling costs by adjusting the temperature of your home automatically through the day. Easy to operate, they can be set to various programs like daily or work week vs. weekend. And more advanced models can even switch between heating and cooling in spring and fall when you may need both.
- Pros: Affordable. Most models allow for multiple settings.
- Cons: More expensive than manual thermostats. Not suitable for all systems.
Typically found in older homes, manual thermostats are economical and simple to control. The desired temperature is manually entered and thermostat will keep the house at that temperature until the thermostat is manually changed.
- Pros: Affordable.
- Cons: Temperature must be changed mannualy.
Our Home Comfort Advisors can help you choose the right furnace and air conditioner and make sure the thermostat you select is a match for your equipment.
Here are just a few of the many reasons you can rely on Reliance:
- Benefit from the buying power of one of the largest home comfort providers in Canada – our top-of-the-line heating and cooling brands include SmartAir™, Amana®, Carrier®, Goodman® – as well as Nest® and ecobee® thermostats
- Rely on our depth of industry knowledge, built over 50 years
- Experience the dedication and care of local service providers
- Get 24/7 live support when you need it most, 365 days of the year
- Take advantage of available rebates with the help of our dedicated Home Comfort Advisors, who walk you through the process every step of the way
- Our 100% Money-Back Guarantee. Learn about our other service guarantees
Your comfort is important to us. We’ll take the time and care you need to ensure you find the heating and cooling solution and thermostat that work best for you and your family.
Call us today, or book online for a FREE in-home consultation.