Causes of Generator Failure
Prevention & Troubleshooting
Don’t be left in the dark. A backup generator will have you powered up in seconds.
From thunderstorms to ice storms, when bad weather hits, a home standby generator can keep your family safe, warm, and connected. At Reliance Home Comfort™, we offer rental, sales, service, and installation of residential generators, so you’ll be ready to beat the next blackout.
A power outage can get expensive. Lost food, a flooded basement and the disruption to your family life – not to mention the problems it could cause if you are running a business or working from your home. That’s why a backup generator is a smart investment for Canadian homeowners.
Trying to decide which emergency backup power option is right for you? Here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Natural Gas Automatic Backup Generator
- Designed to power everything in your home, water heater, heating and cooling system (HVAC), lights, appliances, sump pumps and sensitive electronics.
- Starts automatically and restores power in seconds, whether you are home or away.
- Remains fixed to your home after installation.
- Generac Residential
- Whole Home Generators cover the entire electric load of your home.
- Partial Home Generators cover select high-priority circuits of your home.
- Free Mobile Link Remote Monitoring allows you to keep an eye on your residential generator from your smartphone, so you know your home will be protected in case of a blackout.
Reliance offers a wide range of top-quality residential generator solutions from Generac. Whether you need 9kW or 22kW, we can help you determine the right size generator to keep your life powered.
Reliance makes it easy to be ready for the next power outage. Our Home Comfort Advisors and licensed electricians can help you choose a generator that is the right size for your home, and you’ll enjoy expert installation and maintenance services – all for one affordable rental payment. Ask us about our financing options.
With so many backup generators to choose from, it can be difficult to know where to start.
That’s why it’s a good idea to work with experts, like the team at Reliance. We can help you choose a generator that is the right size for your home, your lifestyle, and your budget.
Call for your free generator consultation today.
- Our Home Comfort Advisors conduct an on-site visit to review available generator options and to schedule a pre-inspection.
- Our certified electricians and gas fitters conduct a pre-inspection of all electrical and gas elements.
- Our electricians will determine any installation needs and permit requirements.
- We will also determine which fuel option will work best – natural gas or liquid propane.
3 Causes of Generator Failure
A well-maintained home generator can last years, however, occasionally, things do go wrong. Here are the most common causes of generator failure:
Even though your home generator is hardwired into your home a battery is used to start the generator when the power goes out. These batteries can fail over time.
A common issue related to generators not starting when needed is the master control set for “Auto” (automatic) operation is not set or mistakenly leaving the Emergency Stop Pushbutton depressed. After any activity is performed on or near a unit, always double check to assure that the generator set controls are set for automatic operation.
Automatic transfer switches (ATS’s) have moving parts and with that are susceptible to mechanical failure. Moving parts can seize if they remain in one position for long periods. It is best to ensure that moving parts will continue to operate smoothly with a monthly exercise that includes electrically operating the transfer switch with a loaded generator run.
Performing actual outage tests that cause the ATS to function will aid in exposing potential problems. Periodic lubrication of bearing points and inspection for electrical contact erosion are essential to good equipment health.
Prevention & Troubleshooting
There are a few simple things most homeowners can do to keep their residential generator in tip-top shape.
5 Tips for Generator Maintenance
- Keep the unit clean and free from debris.
- Make sure it is in ‘auto’ mode so it will start automatically if the power goes out.
- Be sure to monitor your generator’s LED and Codes on a regular basis.
- Be aware of your generator’s condition and know when to call for service help.
- Have your unit serviced regularly by a trained professional.
Call us to today to schedule your generator installation or maintenance.
A malfunctioning generator may leave you in the dark if there’s a power outage. That’s why it’s important to have your backup generator serviced regularly. And if you think your generator may not be running properly, don’t wait to call in a professional.
Our trained technicians are familiar with the models we carry and can inspect and service your generator. We’ll provide a thorough explanation of the generator service job needed, and let you know how much it will cost before we begin.
Book your generator service today.
- Live customer support 24/7/365
- Experienced, licensed electricians
- 50+ years of experience servicing the home comfort needs of Canadians
- Friendly and courteous professionals
- No charge for repairs or replacement of your rental equipment*
Plus Reliance has over
5 Star Reviews Nationally