How to protect yourself against scams and fraudulent businesses
At RelianceTM, looking after our customers remains our focus during these challenging times. Arming you with reliable information will help raise awareness to protect you against fraudulent business activity. Be aware of those requesting appointments for water heater, heating or cooling inspections due to COVID-19. COVID-19 does not impact the safety or functionality of your equipment. Consumer protection is key, which is why Reliance operates under these guidelines:
- Reliance will not call to request to inspect your water heater.
- Reliance does not engage in door-to-door sales.
- Reliance will not show up for a service appointment at your door that you did not schedule.
- When you request a service visit, Reliance can follow-up with an email confirming the date, appointment window, service location and confirmation number of the appointment.
- Reliance will never offer up your personal information – we will only authenticate and verify it to protect your information.
Here are some tips to stay safe:
- Never let a service company into your home unannounced.
- Upon arrival, if a service technician’s identification badge is not visible, ask to see it.
- If they cannot produce one, don’t let them in your home.
- If someone comes to your home unannounced, don’t let them in.
- If you unknowingly enter into a contract with a service provider, as part of your Consumer Rights according to the Ontario consumer protection legislation:
- You must be a given a written copy of the contract.
- You have the right to cancel for any reason without penalty. See the Ontario Consumer Protection site for details on your cancellation rights.
If you suspect you are the target of fraudulent activity, here are some contacts: