Reasons Why You Should Upgrade To A Heat Pump
At Reliance™, we’re committed to doing our part for a greener tomorrow and to providing you with environmentally sustainable home comfort solutions that can help us all reduce our impact on the planet.
You may not have given a lot of thought to heat pumps but they’re actually a great, convenient choice that could help reduce your carbon footprint. Why? Here are a couple of reasons:
- Efficiency year-round. During the summer, a heat pump keeps your home cool by removing heat from inside your home and moving it outside. During the spring and fall, it does the reverse — keeping your home comfortable by removing heat from the air outside and moving it inside. Since a heat pump is more efficient than a furnace or baseboard heating at milder temperatures, your furnace only kicks in when temperatures drop, helping to reduce your CO2 emissions and potentially your energy bills as well.
- Lower emissions. The electricity that operates a heat pump is mostly produced through non-carbon emitting sources in many places in Canada — especially in British Columbia and Ontario — which means in these provinces a pump produces lower CO2 emissions than a natural gas-burning furnace.
Before you invest in a heat pump, it’s worth considering a few things:
- How big is your home and where is it located? Both are key when determining your heat pump unit size and power.
- How well is your home insulated? The amount and type of insulation will also influence the size and power of the heat pump you choose.
- What about energy efficiency? There are two numbers you’ll want to look at when shopping around for a heat pump — the seasonal energy efficiency ratio (SEER) for cooling efficiency and the heating seasonal performance factor (HSPF) to check for its heating efficiency. The higher these two ratings, the more energy you could save and the lower your operating costs could be.
We bet you have questions! No worries. Contact Reliance to learn more about our green heat pump solutions. Once you’ve found a model that meets your needs, our certified technicians can professionally install it and ensure heating automatically switches from your heat pump to your furnace whenever it’s needed.